Pacific Northwest Utilities Conference Committee (PNUCC) is a not-for-profit trade association of consumer-owned and investor-owned electric utilities, and other power industry partners, that share a common interest in the efficacy and reliability of the Pacific Northwest Power system. This forum facilitates a unique function in the Northwest where complex industry issues are brought to the table and discussed in an environment where members can explore common and diverse perspectives to chart a mutually beneficial course forward.
While the issues facing the Northwest power community have changed over its long history, PNUCC’s strength has endured and expanded because of its members, who come together to build relationships, research problems, learn from each other and resolve issues in a respectful and collaborative atmosphere.
The Executive Director is responsible for actively managing the association and advancing the mission of PNUCC and member agenda under the direction of the Board. The successful candidate will be service oriented and have strong leadership and organizational skills to support the dynamic needs of the PNUCC Board and members and to navigate the complex and challenging issues facing the electric power industry.
Activities include, but are not limited to, management of the essential business operations of the association, oversight of the budget and financial management, recruitment and development of professional staff, maintain member relations, recognize and understand regional and national energy policy issues, develop and maintain relationships with regional leaders, stakeholders and decision makers, identify key initiatives, and facilitate discussions and collaboration with PNUCC members and/or industry groups to guide the association in achieving PNUCC’s goals.
- Reports to the PNUCC Board of Directors (Board)
- Responsible for all PNUCC activities delegated by the Board
- Works with the Board to establish and provide strategic and visionary leadership to PNUCC
- Establishes overall work priorities with Board input
- Assures organizational effectiveness by anticipating needs, setting goals and standards, scheduling work, meeting deadlines, and measuring results
- Develop and maintain proper image of PNUCC and key relationships throughout the Northwest
- Represents the membership in various policy and technical forums
- Responsible for communication to membership on emerging energy issues, including regional power planning and operational issues and their implications
- Directs PNUCC staff and committee activities assuring effective, efficient organizational operations
- Provides day to day office supervision and management
- Secures assistance of consultants when requested or directed
- Develop and administer budgets with Board input and approval
- Assures the effectiveness of meetings of the PNUCC Board and other committees by timely planning, preparation of agendas and minutes, and coordination
- Assures high quality of work
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
Candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of Northwest power industry, current issues, and policy dynamics
- Ability to develop and maintain confidence and trust of members
- Proven ability to work well with groups of diverse interests and perspectives
- Proven project management experience, consensus building, collaboration, and facilitation skills
- Expert management, administrative, organizational, and budgeting skills
- Advanced problem-solving, judgment, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to prioritize workload and handle multiple tasks to achieve organizational goals
- Expert written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to listen and quickly assimilate information
- Advanced computer skills
- Knowledge of utility operations preferred
- Ability to travel monthly
- Experience in power industry, utility management, or Northwest energy issues
- High standards of ethics, honesty, and integrity
- Degree in economics, engineering, finance, law, public administration, or equivalent education and experience preferred
Position is presently based in Portland, Oregon. Routine travel to meetings in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and California is occasionally required.
PNUCC offers a competitive salary and an exceptional benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision and short/long term disability coverage; defined benefit pension program; life insurance; and paid holidays and personal leave.
To be considered for this position please submit a letter of interest highlighting your applicable qualifications and a resume to the PNUCC Board Chair and Vice Chair: email@example.com and Scott.Kinney@avistacorp.com.
Please include “PNUCC Executive Director Search” in the subject line. The first round of applicant reviews will begin on September 15, 2022. For questions regarding this position, please contact Frank Lawson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (541)685-7621.